Wednesday 28 November 2012

My Appetite For Destruction, Sex & Drugs & Guns N' Roses


                    




A very good evening to my fellow readers, how are you guys doing on this fine evening? All good I hope. I really hope that you guys did enjoy my previous posts. I certainly did have a lot of fun blogging about it. My last 2 posts have been really long and I hope I did not bore any of you guys reading my blog out there. If you like any of my recent posts or dislike, do tell me so that I can improve my posts to make it better for you guys out there. Some of you may be wondering what is my title of this post all about, some of you may think what the hell is wrong with this dude blogging here. Before you guys do come into any conclusion, my title for this post does not represent me but instead someone really famous which has gone through all of these and is fortunate enough to still be alive today to tell the story. The guy you see above there is no other than Steve Adler, former drummer of Guns N' Roses.

                    


This book was released in 2010 by no other that Steven Adler himself. He is fortunate enough to still be alive here to tell his story. After forty years, twenty-eight OD'S ( Overdose), three botched suicides, two heart attacks, a couple of jail stints, a debilitating stoke, and being labelled as one of the most self-destructive rock star ever, he has finally sobered up to share the shattering, untold truth about his life and about his music career.



                          

You guys might wonder, what has this book got to do with anything in my life?. Truth is, it has a lot to do with my life. Well, not the drugs part and everything but how much it motivates me to strive for the better. When the band first started in the late 1980's, it was really a struggle. All of the members were struggling to pay rent, were struggling to put food on the table for themselves. That was how poor they all were when they first started. The road to stardom was a long and winding road for them. They were finding it hard to get record labels at the time to sign them to produce an album, they were even finding it hard for anybody to listen to their music.During the late 1980's, it was pretty hard to make it big as a rock band as there were so many out there especially in America. It was basically a do or die motto for all of them in order for them to make it big.

Fortunately at one of their gigs, they stumbled upon Vicky Hamilton which would later become their manager for the band. She believed that they had what it takes to really make it and burst into rock and roll scene in the sunset strip boulevard in Hollywood. After months and months off finding a record label to sign them, she finally found a company which would sign them. This company was called Geffen Records which was founded by Geffen. Geffen Records later proved to be one of the most successful record labels of all time and would work with many famous bands and artists.

Geffen Records brought the best out in the band and later that year in 1987, they released their first album titled My Appetite For Destruction which was one of the best selling albums in the world during that time. None of them expected the album to be an instant hit. In that album, songs like Welcome to the Jungle, Nightrain and Paradise City later became the bands best songs out of the many till today.




However, despite all the fame and fortune, the band had a really dark side. All of them were heavily involved in drugs. All of them had near death incidences. Steven Adler, after forty years, twenty-eight OD'S ( Overdose), three botched suicides, two heart attacks, a couple of jail stints and a debilitating stoke. Duff Mckagen, bassist of the band nearly drank himself to death whereby his pancreas expanded to the size of an american football, Slash also nearly drank himself to death till the point the doctors told him he only had a week to live and the list goes on. All these drugs consumed by the band later proved to be one of the reasons why the band split up after a decade together.

I would really suggest to you guys to get this book from any bookstores like MPH and Times. This book is really good in my personal opinion as it really helped my band and I to strive to be the best and give our 100 percent whenever we are performing. And also to not go into this dark abyss of drugs. For any aspiring musicians out there, this is really the book to get. It's obtainable at only RM 56.90 which is really reasonable for a biography.

Well, that's about it. Till the next post. ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment